Skip to Main Content

State & Non-Profit Assistive Emergency Resource Guide

This guide provides information about State resources for urgent needs such as: Food, Unemployment Insurance, ACA signup, Utility Assistance & Eviction Assistance.

Online Application for SNAP benefits

The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) offers food benefits to eligible, low-income individuals and families. The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) is the largest federal nutrition assistance program. SNAP provides benefits to eligible low-income individuals and families via an Electronic Benefits Transfer card. This card can be used like a debit card to purchase eligible food in authorized retail food stores. 

Due to public health concerns related to the coronavirus (COVID-19), we encourage you to apply online or call your local office before going in person.


Special Criteria for Students of Higher Education

Students who are between the ages of 18 to 49 who attend higher education at least half time must meet additional special criteria to be eligible for SNAP. If you are in this age group and attending higher education then you must meet one of the following criteria to be an eligible student:

  • Be physically or mentally unfit for employment. This means you cannot both work and go to school. You may be asked to provide something from your doctor supporting this.
  • Be a paid employee working an average of 20 hours each week. The hours worked in an internship or externship do not count towards these hours.
  • Be self-employed at and working at least 20 hours each week and have countable monthly income of at least $1247 before business costs.
  • Be awarded state or federally funded work-study and be assigned a position with a start date in the current term or semester.
  • Be responsible for the care of a child in your household. (Specific age requirements apply.)
  • Be receiving TANF (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families) cash assistance or Tribal TANF.
  • Be in a Workforce Investment Act (WIA) training program.
  • Be receiving Unemployment Compensation benefits.
  • Be assigned to, placed or voluntarily participate in an Employment and Training program. Students attending Community College meet this exemption if the college verifies enrollment in a course(s) or a program of study meeting one of the following definitions:
    • A Career or Technical Education (CTE) course or program of study as defined under Perkins IV.
    • A Career Pathways course or program of study as defined by the Oregon Education Department and Community College; or
    • Enrolled in a course considered by the Community College to be remedial, adult basic education, literacy or English as a second language.

Income: If you meet one of the criteria above and your monthly income is below the income limits, you may be eligible.

I have a meal plan at school, but it doesn’t cover all of my meals, would I be eligible for food benefits?
No, if you are receiving any kind of a meal plan from your school, whether you choose to use it or not, you are not eligible to receive food benefits.

I am on break from school right now, am I still considered a student?
If your break is during a normal school break such as spring break or summer break, you are still considered a student and must meet special criteria.